Wednesday, December 21, 2005

(Real) Cold Weather Cookies


Cooking in my parents' kitchen always delights--not only is it huge compared to my own, with plenty of counter space, you also have a lovely view of their back hillside, currently blanketed in snow and often visited by families of deer. I especially enjoy baking in it at the holidays--having grown up in the Midwest, making Christmas cookies feels more right and less decadent when it's snowy and a mere 10 degrees outside.

Inspired by Darla of Messy Cucina and her Biscotto Bake-A-Thon, I decided to try them myself for the first time. I followed her master recipe and stayed simple with my goodies--chocolate chips--with a final dip in chocolate. It pays to stay patient after the first bake and wait a full half hour before you try to cut the logs, otherwise you'll just make a crumbly mess. Also, my dad's lactose-intolerant so I substituted margarine, which didn't seem to hurt.

2 comments:

Darlaing said...

Wonderful! I'm so glad you found the master recipe helpful! And you can never go wrong with chocolate. I hope you do order some vanilla beans. I've never used one before because I'm too cheap, and I'm excited to get going!

Vergil said...

On my part please drop in on http://bellyfitfast.com since taht's a site with truly nice things to read.Thanks very much for information.
7 | 5 | 3