Thursday, December 21, 2006

Wine 101 at San Antonio Winery

If you're like me, you probably have one or two gifts left to figure out before Christmas next week, right? Here's what I say: skip the mall and send your friend or family member to the a "Wine 101" Wine Tasting Seminar at San Antonio Winery in downtown Los Angeles. An afternoon sipping some of California's best and snacking on branzino and duck ravioli will go over a lot better than another sweater from the Gap, dontcha think?

The same seminar will be held both January 20 and 21, from 12 pm-3pm. The cost includes a lots of food, and the chance to taste a bunch of wine, including Turnbull Sauvignon Blanc 2005 Napa Valley, Grgich Hills Fume Blanc 2005 Napa Valley, San Simeon Chardonnay 2003 Monterey County, San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva 2001 Tuscany and Sterling Vineyards Merlot 2002 Napa Valley.

San Antonio Winery was founded in 1917 and remains a family-run business. Fellow LA blogger Franklin Avenue describes his recent visit here. My favorite fact from Franklin Ave? The winery made it through prohibition by supplying the Catholic church with wine. Hee!

To make reservations for the event, call (323) 223-1401 x 71 or email wineshop@sanantoniowinery.com. The cost of the event is $60.00 per person. Click here for directions.

Full disclosure: The winery has invited me to attend this seminar as its guest, and I plan to go. Of course, it was not a requirement for me to post the event info, and if I don't like it--you'll be the first to know!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No level of such sophistication exists in our humble Midwest, but we do have some interesting wineries around.

I learned in my wine class that many, many winemakers survived Prohibition in the way you describe making 'holy wine'....nudge nudge wink wink

Just how much did they reserve for themselves?

Have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That would be a lovely gift. Like Kate said, not a lot of options similar to that here in the midwest!

Can't wait to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little leery of wine right now. I liked it a little too much during a dinner over the Thanksgiving weekend, and it ended badly for my shoes.

- Chubbypanda

Rachael Narins said...

hey doll! they invited me too. we should totally meet up there. its a darling spot.

xoxox
Rachael