Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Birthday Cupcake Crawl

For my birthday this year, I decided instead of just one cake, I wanted to try at least four. My friends and I set out on a cupcake crawl beginning on the Upper West Side, ending on the Lower East Side, and capped with drinks at Verlaine.


My favorite was an old standby, the pistachio cupcake at cozy sugar Sweet sunshine. Crumbs and Buttercup Bakeshop on the Upper West Side were tasty but the seating areas have zero personality. Our final stop was vegan bakery Babycakes. Their cupcakes were dry and full of wacky, seemingly un-natural ingredients subbing for butter, sugar and white flour. I definitely understand that those with gluten allergies and lactose intolerance may crave a sweet baked good, and Babycakes can fill that need. However, as a dairy-loving, luckily allergy free gal, I'll take real cupcakes (in moderation of course) over their vegan counterparts. On a positive note, the Babycakes space is adorable and thinking of the cakes as muffins makes them more palatable.

Crumbs
321 1/2 Amsterdam Avenue @75th Street
New York, NY 10023
(212) 712-9800

Buttercup Bakeshop
141 W. 72nd St (Between Amsterdam & Columbus)
New York, NY 10023
212-787-3800

sugar Sweet sunshine
126 Rivington St
New York, NY 10002
212-915-1960

Babycakes
248 Broome St
New York, NY
212-677-5047

8 comments:

Shayne said...

as muffins ha! you crack me up

Unknown said...

Suddenly, I really want cupcakes ...

I hope you had a lovely birthday!

(I didn't realize you'd relocated! I've only recently returned to blogging, and I think the last time I'd visited you, you were in L.A. Well, I hope you're loving NY!)

Aubrey said...

2 things. 1) Happy belated birthday!
and 2...you look so thin! You look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Erin!

Juliet said...

Happy birthday! It would be terrible for me to do a cupcake crawl, and yet right now, that is all I'm in the mood for.


Mmmm chocolate cupcake....

Anonymous said...

oooh! happy birthday! and what a great idea. i may have to take inspiration from you and try that next year!

Anonymous said...

A very happy, albeit belated birthday!!